Sunday, November 9, 2008

{Sweetness}

{WARNING!! Picture overload!!}


So I took my favorite girl out for a little "Mommy & Me" photo shoot this morning and I must say that what I captured during those thirty minutes or so is quite simply priceless. 

Often times I leave a shoot with my kids feeling frustrated...mostly with myself, but sometimes with them too. And then when I get home and see my images, well, I am even more frustrated. Frustrated that what would have been a perfect shot is WAY too blurry or underexposed. Frustrated that I can't get any eye contact. The list goes on. It is part of me...perfectionism runs throughout each and every vein in my body and I am by far my own worst critic. But today? Today I am nearly brought to tears with the story my pictures tell of my sweet {yet sassy} Gentry girl. Snippets of time forever frozen and etched in my mind. Each time I look through these I will be reminded of the four lollipops and one bag of Skittles I used to bribe her into sitting on the bench long enough for me to get situated and fire off a couple of shots before she was in motion again! I will remember the grey sky and the clouds that filled it as well as the coolness of the pavement on our bare feet. I will remember the birds squawking and my little one saying, "We don't touch birds. Birds are yucky." {I have ingrained that into them!! I have NOT had good experiences with birds in my life!} I will remember the giggles, the smiles, playing "Peek a Boo" around the columns and simply being. There was no stress today...no frustration, just enjoying our time without the boys. {Don't get me wrong...I went with a vision and hoped to capture what was in my mind, but I also knew we were just 3 minutes from home and could go back at any time!!}

And here is the story...

Ealier this week Tonya blogged about some socks she bought her girls to make leg warmers out of. I had seen these before...she first wrote of it several months ago and another blog I follow just posted about it a  couple of weeks ago...so the whole idea of leg warmers has been on my mind! I have loved them since last summer {2007} when I ordered three pair of Baby Legs for the sasafrass!

Anyway, when we were out and about on Friday and at Target, I picked up some SUPER cute red and white striped knee socks with faux fur at the top. I didn't really have a "vision" in mind when I bought them...I just knew I would be taking pictures of her in them in some way, shape or form. But yesterday it hit me! Totally out of the blue I was thinking of these cute socks and I knew what I wanted to capture. It would require hauling a bench around, but hey, doesn't everyone haul props all over creation?!

All I can say is that I got "the shot" I had in mind and a ton of other keepers!! I took well over 250 and edited 15 of them this afternoon...the fifteen keepers!! No, they aren't all "technically" perfect and some have areas ever so slightly out of focus that I would prefer be in focus, but hey, I am happy! I would LOVE it if I could find some old brick buildings around here, the kind they have in my hometown with charm and character...but living in a really new suburb, it just isn't going to happen. So I had to make the most out of what the area has to offer...painted cinder blocks on the bottom portion of a school. Not ideal, but it does the job!!

This was my second shot of the day. Crazy hunh? I could have stopped here and been happy!! I added some texture to this one...I so adore the vintage feel!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Checking things out...

Photobucket

I was bummed I cut her foot off in this one! It would have been so cute to have captured her on her tiptoes!!

Photobucket

Are these not about the cutest leg warmers ever????

Photobucket

Love those toesies! I painted them red right before we left...and since her toenails are so tiny, part of her toe gets painted each time too!!

Photobucket

On this one I really softened her face up. It was so cool out that she was all red and splotchy. Not to mention that she has a HORRIBLE snotty nose and cough and her face is just kinda a mess right now!! But how angelic she looks, hunh? And how about those lollipop hair clips I made?!! More on those tomorrow!!

Photobucket

Ummm....Seriously?! How cute is this?! I couldn't have gotten her to pose like this if I tried!

Photobucket

This girl LOVES her puppy...and I mean LOVES him! He is as much a part of our life as she is! I love how her little belly is sticking out too! 

Photobucket

And of course he needs to be fed too. Like his master, candy is his favorite food group!

Photobucket

{Kisses} Or pisses in Gentry terminology!

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the first one out of the 250+ I picked to edit. Something about it caught my eye right off the bat!

Photobucket

Would you believe this is what it looked like before?!! Straight out of the camera is SO blah!

Photobucket

More of the angel face! Playing "Peek a Boo" around the columns! 

Photobucket

And last but not least..."The Shot." I must say in my mind I hadn't planned for her puppy to be included or her legs to be crossed, but those two elements make the shot! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!! I want it printed BIG and on canvas in my house!!

Photobucket

Just out of curiosity, which one is YOUR favorite?! It is always fun to hear what images capture one's eye and why!!

And on that note, have a happy day!

post signature

16 comments:

Julie - On the Dot Creations said...

I LOVE that last one, too. Another favorite is the one of her peeking around the corner -- that smile is precious! So glad you had a chance to capture those great shots!

Anonymous said...

Hi- ok - Dad's favorite is the one of her fat foot - the close up of the toenails and then the ones of her face, he likes seeing her onry little grin as well. My favorite is the last one too. Bye! Love, Mom

Jaime said...

OMG....these are so darn cute. I love those leggings. Where did you get those? I totally love the ones of her legs only...those are so darn cute. The last one is my absolute fav!! Great job. Did you run a vintage process on these? I love the PP on the first one with the cracked look too.

Jaime said...

Okay I was tooo excited about these and I commented before reading...sorry...I got my answers...LOL

Jaime said...

The last one is my fav because I like how she is off to the side with her stuffed toy on the bench...just adorable...
I think that is my last post LOL

by: Brian and Lacey McKay said...

You're right, these ARE priceless!! And even more so, since they will bring back GOOD memories! I really love the conversions on these. Every one of them is perfect. I love the lollipop hair clips too! Can't wait to see what else you've been making! Let's see...I think my favs would have to be the last two as well. However, I also really like the closeup of her painted piggies, and also the one of her feeding her puppy. These would make for a precious Christmas card all by themselves!

Tonya said...

those turned out darling....the last image is my favorite too!

xoxo

Tonya

Unknown said...

Squeel! I am running out to Target first thing in the morning to make my sweetie some legwarmers like these! What a SUPER FUN idea and an even more fun photo op!!!

All the pics are amazing but my very favorite is the second one where her legs are pressed together and you can see her little lollipop in one hand and her cute painted toenails. Just love the symmetry and overall composition.

Beautiful work!!!

(and I'm not kidding, I'm totally going to steal this idea!)

:)

Just Me said...

lovin those sassy warmers! I love the picture of Gentry holding the bear to her face.....I like that it doesnt look posed and its natural.....does that make sense, lol! Great pics!

Polka Dot Moon said...

She is too cute! Love the warmers......do they come in our size?!
Your pictures are really wonderful :)

Laura said...

LOVIN' these pictures! Great job...and I'm still laughing at the mental picture of you: pulling this bench out of your van and hauling it around under one arm :)

You got the pictures though! I love the one of her peeking around the column best!! I guess it's just because you can see her sweet little face. I DO love the painted piggies!

Crystal said...

Can you say ADORABLE?!

I can't wait now, my SIL just got my 1yr old some pink/red stripped ones... not fur though!

You had better put these up in the forum.... gallery or something!

and my fav is the one of her painted piggies....... and the peekaboo one, and the last one! ok I love them all, but these were my *favs*


I am glad you had a good time, man... I sooo know what you mean!

Casey said...

My favorite is the first one because she has all the essentials for being a kid. Her dog and a nuk. Love the effects that you are doing they make them look so timeless. Great work.

Jules said...

cutest pictures ever!!!
Love the lolly clippies.
What section did your find those stripey socks?
I searched the store over and over. I need them!

Ashley, Kyle, and Baby Boy said...

I LOVE this pictures (found you via Bri's blog)! what editor do you use for your photos?
also...my son is 7 months old and i'd like the 2nd to be 2 years apart...i'm a young mom (almost 25), too, and would love to know what you think of the 2 year age difference as well as having 2 under 30...(i moved from GA to NYC metro area and it's a different ballgame up here)

Anonymous said...

I love the first one of her flat footed on the ground with her binky and puppy. Also the one where she's feeding the puppy. Super cute leggins' and GREAT JOB on the photos! Love, Debbie