Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Elmo's Song

So here we are in the middle of August and while temperatures are sweltering to say the least, my mind is on fall! I have never liked the summer...and at this point in my life I am quite certain I never will! But fall and winter? Oh how I love those seasons and long for the cool, crisp weather...


And I can't mention fall without bringing up Halloween! I am one of "those moms." The kind that is generally so over-prepared and has things planned out to a "t" that everyone else gets sick of it! I plan ahead...and most of the time WAY ahead! That is just me...always has been, always will be!

So it should come as no surprise to you that I have been pondering Halloween costumes for weeks now. I am also one of those moms who will dress their children in coordinating (not matching...just coordinating) costumes for as long as I can pull it off! Yes, I am one of those moms!!

So...I want to share with you my two little sweeties last year on Halloween! At about this same time last year I got this bright idea in my mind that they were going to be Raggedy Ann and Andy. I searched high and low on my good friend the computer and found "the perfect" costumes! LOVED them! I should also admit here that I am slightly high maintenance when it comes to Halloween costumes. I am not sure where that comes from...they are costumes made to be worn once a year and that is it...but I am picky. So anyway, I found "the perfect" ones last year and couldn't have been happier! (You'll note that Gentry was just as happy as I was!! Ha ha ha!!)

Photobucket

Now flash forward a year! Here I am racking my brain trying to find something equally as cute for my two darling kids this year...something that coordinates. Mickey and Minnie? A bee and a bug? Dorothy and the Tin Man?

I am having NO problems when it comes to Gentry...girl costumes seem to be like girl clothing! There is a TON of it and it all comes in several different styles! Now for my little man on the other hand? No such luck!

So, last night while browsing "the aisles" of Etsy, I found "it." As in, THE costume that would dictate what my goal would be this year for the kids...none other than Elmo!! There was an equally cute Cookie Monster, but Gentry has a soft spot for the furry red guy!! Click here to see the rest of the cute items in this shop!!

And here he is...looking ever so glam and girly!! The thing I love most about this costume is that she can wear it for more than just Halloween! This little tutu dress should fit her for years to come!! (Please note that these are not my images but came from the site I purchased the costume from.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now tell me that is not CUTE?!! I of course called Chris in to look at it and he too thought it was super cute and very "Gentry" and told me to order it!! I think I sold him with the fact that she can wear it more than on just Halloween! I have had a bee picked out, but by the time I bought the wings and the wand and everything else she "needed," it was way more expensive than this one!!

So that brings me to the ever cute Raggedy Andy you saw above! I am thinking he would be the PERFECT Cookie Monster to accompany our little Elmo, but the Cookie Monster costumes are so fuzzy and heavy...totally not going to cut it here in the desert (that is why it is okay for Gentry to be wearing a lightweight little piece of tulle!!). It is still way too warm at that time of year! So...if anyone out there has any fantastic ideas, please share!! Nothing cheesy or dorky...remember I am high maintenance in regards to costumes!!

post signature

14 comments:

Jules said...

That Elmo is soooo cute! I love how girly it is. She is going to be adorable. Huntler could be a fishbowl with Dorothy the goldfish inside (good luck in making that one!) Or maybe just wear all blue and have some sort of Cookie Monster head... no, that would be cheezy. I am stumped!
Girl/boy combos I have seen that are fun are Tinkerbell and Captain Hook (boys love pirates) or even Jasmine and Raja (the tiger).
I keep brainstorming on the Elmo line.

Just Me said...

wow--now THAT's a costume! I love it! I was just thinking about LIly and her first halloween and what she's gonna be...I was going to post about it on friday...i have some ideas.....and i think we all know what they are, LOL!!

Anonymous said...

hey beth,
ok, i've been doing some looking for you and i think i found something for huntler! its on ebay and here is the item number: 290252586629.the size is a 3-4t. I'm not sure what size he's wearing, but thought i'd pass it on! its even short sleeved. have fun and good luck

Amanda said...

I was going to suggest doing a Dorthy fish, or maybe a Crayon, to go with Elmo's world. "La La , lala, La La, lala, Elmo's World. Elmo's got his gold fish, his crayon too!"

Good luck! I love the costume!

Nikki said...

That is too funny! I am exactly the same way! Last year Ava was a chicken and Morgan was an egg. And this year.....I found those cute little tutus on etsy too and decided to make my own. I have Morgan's started already. They are both going to be butterflies! Have fun searching for cookie monster ideas! I LOVE HALLOWEEN!

Polka Dot Moon said...

OH how cute is that!! I've got to check out her shop....haven't decided what Jillian's going to be yet!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Maybe he could be Mr.noodle!! And if you get a little crafty you could make Gentry's halloween bag look like Dorothys fish bowl! Fun! I am loving this...I wish I had another baby!!
Love
Drea and Gaby

Anonymous said...

Awww, it doesn't get much cuter than that little Elmo costume. How about a Twiddlebug costume for Huntler? Still not sure? Maybe this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_street_characters

I like the crayon idea, though.

Good luck. BTW, I suffer from Halloweenaphilia too. I'm NUTS for it!

Anonymous said...

I recently stumbled on your blog & just adore it!!!

OMgosh, that is seriously the cutest elmo outfit!!!! =] I agree with the other readers, a crayon or a fishbowl with Dorothy! =] Not sure which would be easier to pull off if you have to "hand make" but oh so cute none the less!

Halloween is my FAVE holiday and I am already planning my girls' outfits and counting down the days till I can put my decor out!!! =]

I always coordinate my girls! Last year, the oldest was a witch and my youngest was her black cat!! =]

This year they both want to be butterflies!!!! =]

laura mcpherson said...

LOVE the elmo outfit...that is SOOO GENTRY! Can't wait to see the pictures of her in it! Sorry I don't have any ideas for Huntler yet. I'm not "up" on all the Sesame Street characters quite yet! I'm sure you'll find something perfect though.

I'm so excited for Barrett's first Halloween too! I think he'll be a monkey, unless I find something else :)

Natasha said...

Bethany,
I think that your blogsite is awesome! I don't remember exactly how I came across it, but I was wondering — are you a professional photographer? All of your photos are so good. What kind of camera and lens are you using. I love taking pictures of my daughter and would be so happy if I got some shots like yours. Thanks,
Natasha
nfullard@charter.net

HeatherW said...

Ohhhh that is perfect!! So pretty!!

Maybe make a Cookie Monster costume in the same fashion as that one but with little blue overalls and a cookie monster hat!

Tabitha said...

HI! I saw you over at Lily Eden and noticed the AZ reference and thought I'd say "howdy." We live in Avondale, just west of Phoenix. We want to take my son (2.5 years) to the Pola Express--think he's too young?? It sounds wonderful!! I'd go just to see it myself!!
I have no costume ideas, the whole thing stresses me out. I'm sure yours will be cute, though!! :)

Shana said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw this post. My mom dressed my sister and I up like Raggedy Ann and Andy when we were 2 and 3 for Halloween. Unfortunately I got the short end of the straw, as I'm younger, and I had to be Andy. Fortunately, I was too young to be scarred by that fact. :)