Saturday, August 9, 2008

Spread Your Wings...

So I just haven't had the time to blog since we got home! WOW! Things around here have been crazy busy the last few days! But I have managed to steal away a few moments this morning to edit some pictures and collect my thoughts for this post.


(More will come on our California trip soon, but I want to share another first that happened this week before I dive into all the pictures I have from our little vacation!)

Huntler started school. Yep...I officially have a preschooler these days. I think part of me is still in shock! The past four years have flown by and I still can't believe that the little 6 pound baby I once held in just one arm is now in school!! 

Some of you know I have not been looking forward to this at all. In fact, if it were solely my decision, I would have more than likely waited until next year to put him in. But...it wasn't just my decision and although I was hesitant to send him off, I know in my heart that he is ready. We get out and about and go to playgroups and socialize with friends, but school can give him something I can't...something he needs.

So Thursday morning I did what I have been dreading for months. I loaded up my little guy and took him to his first day of school. (The first day was actually Tuesday, but since we were gone, he obviously didn't make it that day!!) He was beyond excited!! We have been talking about school for months and he has been prepared for a really long time. He knew that Mommy and Gentry would take him and leave and that we would be back to get him a few hours later. There wasn't a hesitant bone in his little body!! Which I must say is FAR, FAR easier on a mama than having to leave a hysterical child somewhere they absolutely do not want to be!! 

I wasn't one bit excited about any of it, but I did it. Tears were shed and a sadness felt, but deep down I know that this is where he needs to be. Huntler was so excited he was practically running up the sidewalk to the door! He could literally not contain himself! We went in and found his teacher who helped him find his cubby and he was off without so much as a "Bye Mom!" He did come back to give me a hug and say that he loved me, but only because his teacher told him to!! And then he was off to the playground with all his "friends" again!! All the while I was trying SO HARD to keep him from seeing that I was breaking down!!

And so I stood at the door with Gentry on my hip and wiped away the tears as I watched my first born climb the playground equipment and make friends. He was doing exactly what any parent hopes for their kids...exactly what I hoped I had somehow taught him over the last few years. He has "grown up" to be an amazing little boy so full of life and love. So full of compassion and a deep desire to learn. At that moment I knew I could not have kept him home another year. It simply would not be fair to hold a child who so desperately wants to learn and thrive back. So as I stood there in that doorway holding on tight to my sweet girl, I watched my baby spread his wings and prepare to fly. This is just the beginning of something great for him and I truly look forward to seeing who he becomes.

Huntler, by the time you are old enough to read this I hope you have continued to spread your wings and are soaring through life. I hope you are following your heart and your dreams. Nothing is impossible little man, so don't let anything stand between you and what you want most. And always, always know that Daddy and I are here for you...without a shadow of a doubt. We love to to the moon and back and always will...

Okay...so now that I have made myself cry yet again, I'll share a few pictures!! Here he is all ready to go on his first day of preschool! It was SO hot that morning and the sun was already shining so intensely (at 8:00 AM) that we had to take these on the patio...so the background isn't that great!!

I am still playing in Photoshop!! I tried out some different techniques on this one!! I like the look but think maybe I need to redo it and make it a little more subtle?!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Isn't this a cute little backpack?!! 

Photobucket

And this one I snapped of him on the way to school! Can't you just feel his excitement?!! 

Photobucket

I suppose I should tell you how his first day went!! His teacher said he did wonderful and she was way more worried about me than him!! Once I got in the car I collected myself and was fine! And I was so busy unpacking and doing laundry while he was at school that I didn't have much time to think! Now next week will be the true test for me!! Gentry girl and I will have to find something to keep us busy!!

post signature

7 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

I'm getting teary eyed reading this!!!

I understand what you're feeling, Jackson is off to 1st Grade starting Monday. Can't believe where the time has gone....enjoy the time you have with Gentry while Huntler is at school :)

(We have a "Boo Hoo" club for first time moms or dads, I'll be hitting it on Monday!)

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you Bethany, you just don't even know how great it is he is so at home and excited about going there. Take it from someone who's child cried the entire 3 hours there for the first 5 weeks! I dreaded even getting in the car to take him. I think it is absolutely wonderful Huntler is so ready and eager! What I would of given...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know exactly how you felt! When I dropped Caitlyn off last school year for her 1st day of Preschool I was hearbroken! I bawled all the way to my school where I had to suck it up and be a teacher. This year on Friday of this coming week I will drop my baby off in Kindergarten! Can you believe it?!?! I'm tearing up as I type! :) When did our kids get so big? Have a wonderful week! I will be thinking of you! :)
Jennifer

Jules said...

So glad that your little man loved preschool. Gentry girl gets some great Mommy time now. Completely understand the feeling of happiness and sadness when they walk in their classroom door. Love the pictures and his fun backpack.

Laura said...

Ahh....your little man is growing up! I can only imagine how hard that must have been for you, but I'm so glad that HE was ready and excited for it. That does make it easier on you. The pictures are adorable...love the little backpack.

Hope you're getting back into the swing of things at home. We just got home from Barrett's first vacation (to Austin, TX) a few hours ago, so I'll be busy doing laundry tomorrow. Love you!

kam said...

The first day of school...I will probably be that mother who weeps uncontrollably and then waits the entire day outside the school watching him on the playground to make sure the kids are nice...
hard to believe how fast they grow.
I have been to your blog before and love how happy it is!
Thanks for checking in at mine.
Your pictures that Tonya took are great! She is a friend of mine and is such a great person.
Thanks again for the blogger love. ;)

HeatherW said...

He looks so spiffy with his backpack and Old Navy shirt!!