Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bittersweet

So today marks the final day of our week filled with company. By this time tomorrow Papa and Gramma and big cousin Trig will all be back in Kansas and recovering from their big journey west. Chris will be working and the kids and I will be puttering around the house trying to get used to the quiet again. A week we have looked forward to for what seems like an eternity will simply be in the past. We will clean. We will do laundry. We will eat cupcakes and feel sorry for ourselves. We too will recover from the chaos that has somehow become normal. And although we will start getting back into our own routines, life won't quite be normal...it will be sad and boring.


It is amazing how SO much of the year I do really well out here. I miss home and everything it encompasses like crazy, but I do okay. I don't sit around day after day crying or feeling homesick. I don't dwell on the "what ifs?" I am happy. I have two sweet, beautiful kids who need "all" of me, not just the me that can tune in when I am not feeling sad. We shop, we play, we just "be." We have made great friends out here in the desert and we honestly keep pretty busy. But it isn't home...and it never will be.

It is always the hardest the day friends and family leave. KNOWING that the fun we have had and the memories we have created will soon be just that...memories. I cherish each of those memories and am so incredibly grateful for them all, but a tiny little part of myself is saddened knowing how many more memories we would have if we were just a little closer.

I am sorry to be so depressing here. I was literally FINE until I walked in here and started typing this entry...and then the emotion just came pouring out. We have had an amazing week and one filled with action! We have had the birthday party, late night swims, a picnic in the mountains (up in the "high country" so it was only in the 80s...not the 100s!), a trek to a ghost town, a trip to the splash park, a hike in the HOT mountains by our house, watched the jets take off and land at an air force base, sprinklers, slip n slides, popsicles and a whole lotta fun!!

I promise to update more over the next few days...I literally have hundreds of photos to sort through and edit and of course I want to share! But for today I am going to head back out in the 100+ temps and watch the boys swim with Papa!

Here is one of my favorite pictures from last night at the splash park! Trig absolutely LOVED it and was having a ball with Gentry! It is obvious that they were beyond happy in this moment! A moment forever frozen in time to bring a smile to my face!

(And of course I gave it the vintage feel...there is just something about summer pictures looking faded that I LOVE!)

Photobucket

post signature

10 comments:

HeatherW said...

I know what you are feeling about the family leaving. I moved out to California when I was 8 years old and I still at the most random times am hit with that sad feeling. :(

On the brightside it sounds like you guys had a blast!! I love the picture you posted and can't wait to see the rest!!

Jules said...

Those two are sooo happy in that picture! Love it! Sorry about the waves of sadness pouring over you today. So hard to be away from where your heart wants to be. Looking forward to the pictures of your very busy week.

Scrappy Girl said...

Bethany...your feelings are very familiar for me...we have lived away from our families for awhile...I love their visits, but it is SO depressing when they are pulling out of the driveway. My inlaws recently moved on the farm and they drive me nuts!

Polka Dot Moon said...

I understand how you are feeling....we have family in CA, CO, PA, WI, MA and NJ! I get a little emotional when people come here and then leave. It sounds like you've had a great time and will have lots of pictures to remind you of all the fun!!

Anonymous said...

I wish i was there to give you a hug and take you to gymboree!

I know how you feel...my mom lives in hawaii and i only get to see her every once in a while...not often enough!

good thing you have those sweeties to help you through.... I love that pic, by the way!

You can call me Lucky. said...

I am so happy you had so much fun with your family! I know you miss them so much...

I can't wait to see all the photos!!!

Laura said...

*~*BIG HUGS*~*
I'm sorry you're feeling so sad, but I'm so glad you got to have the time you did with your family there. Chin up girl!! You are incredibly blessed!

Can't wait to see more pictures! Hope your family all has safe travels back to Kansas!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURE!!!!!!! I'm glad seeing your family leave saddens you. It means you enjoy them TREMENDOUSLY! If you were not sorry to see them go, all those sweet memories over the last week would be replaced with not so great memories. I feel the same way you do, both when I leave and when you leave my place. I start figuring out when we can see each other again before I ever leave Phoenix. Love you. Debbie

Anonymous said...

sounds like so many can relate. hope you have a good week. Brandy

Anonymous said...

What a perfect summer picture! That is what it is all about, joy.

Sadness is momentary...memories are forever!

Big Hugs to you and your family!
~abby