Monday, June 16, 2008

Zoo Pals

So the weekend managed to fly by just like always and here it is Monday already! I can remember when time used to stand still...how come these days I cherish seem to be going by all too quickly?


First of all...I am making TONS of progress on "Operation iPhoto!" I started out with 17,265 images and am now down to 13,584 and am in February of 2007. So, I have sorted through thousands but still have thousands more to go! I was in desperate need of a break though, so here I am!! 

And then I just discovered that I won this giveaway over at Little Bit Funky!! YAY! Thanks Crystal!! What a fun way to start off the week!!

I still haven't had the time to do much with all of the pictures we took in Kansas, but I did edit a few to share! 

Moving away from home was hard for many, many reasons. I will openly admit that most of those reasons are selfish!! I was lucky enough to get to grow up with a whole lotta cousins...and most of us are pretty close in age! I have many vivid memories of significant events throughout my childhood that include those cousins and because those memories are such a part of my life, I of course want the same for my kids!

However...Chris is an only child so there will never be cousins on his side! My sister has two beautiful kids but is not having any more. And then there is my brother...he just graduated from college so having kids is the last thing on his mind right now!

Getting back on track...Huntler and Gentry only have two cousins, but they are all relatively close in age and ADORE each other! I've said over and over again how hard it is to move away from everything that defines "you" and leaving a sweet niece and nephew is no exception!

Meet Trig and Taverli. Trig will be six in November and Taverli turns 3 in September. I know for a fact that they can fight like cats and dogs (I have heard them on the phone before!!), but when we were around them this trip, they were both as good as gold! Trig loved and doted on Tav and was the best big brother an ornery little munchkin could ask for!! We don't get to see the kids all that often, just two or three times a year, and I am amazed at how mature and grown up Trig is these days. He is such a GOOD kid and a sweetheart through and through!

And then there is Taverli! You see, she and Gentry have a lot more in common than the bright blue eyes and super blonde hair! They are both a tad on the sassy side and full of spunk!! It is fun for me to see how much these two little girls are alike...and how much they both look like my sister when she was younger! 

The fascinating thing about kids is they can pick back up right where they left off! The cousins hadn't seen each other since Christmas, but they were holding hands, sharing drinks and the best of buds at the zoo...chattering away the entire time. Tears are welling up in my eyes as I type now...it's these things - the little things - I miss for my kids. I want them to have sleepovers at Grandma and Papa's (although they did have a sleepover the Saturday night Chris and I were at my reunion and I think it is safe to say they wore Grandma and Papa out!!!). I want them to be able to go to each other's birthday parties, to ride bikes together and feed the ducks at the park. The things that may seem insignificant because of their pure simplicity, but the things that are important because they will be forever etched in their minds and hearts.

Here are a few pictures...

Photobucket

If I were a penguin, I would be a...

Photobucket

I remember the day this guy was born...I honestly can NOT believe he is getting so big already! I guess I just expect my kids to grow and change but no one else's to!!

Photobucket

Little Miss Firecracker here!! She is as opinionated as she is cute!! And she is another one of those kids who started talking REALLY early and keeps on chatting!!

Photobucket

We love and miss you guys!! Maybe you can come see us sometime!!

Photobucket

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics of Trig & Taverli! I think both the girls look like Nat and the boys look like their dads. But without Taverli or Nat around, I think Gentry looks like you.
I always felt a little bad about Chris getting cheated out of the wonderful experience of having brothers and sisters. What I came to realize later is what a burden it is being an only child as your parents age. And only after you were married did I realize how the Graham family didn't hold up their end on giving Huntler and Gentry a "balanced or rounded" perspective on cousins. I hate that I contributed to that, or I guess better said that I didn't! But I'm glad your kids have not only each other but at least 2 cousins and it's really cool that they each have a same sex cousin close to their age. Hopefully, they will always know the value of those relationships. Love the memory-provoking post! Debbie

Anonymous said...

of course, the cutest, best pictures ever! I love seeing the pics you take!

Laura said...

Oh my gracious! What a sweet post!! I hadn't seen Trig or Taverli in a long time...they are precious and look so grown-up! Aren't cousins wonderful?!?

Anonymous said...

Wow! They are getting so big! I haven't seen them in YEARS!!! They're lucky to have you as their Auntie! :)
Jennifer