So it has been one of those days, ya know? The kind where you seem to go in circles in every single aspect of your life? Please tell me I am not the only one who is like this!
Although I spent hours last week cleaning, the weekend "happened" and I was once again forced to spend a good chunk of my morning getting things put away and the house straightened up...again. I have come to believe that the whole concept of "Having the Best of Both Worlds" with an immaculate house AND well behaved, content children is all just an illusion! So, while my kids currently giggle away while playing on my bed and a whole mess of crayons, princess panties and pajama pants litter the floor beside me, I am going to pretend it isn't there and type!!
It has also been one of those days where I have been doubting every single thing about myself and my capabilities. As I have spent just a little time working on my website and looking at tons of photographers sites for pricing ideas and all of that, I wonder if I am even good enough to do this? Will people actually pay me to take their pictures?! I broke down and started crying to Chris at lunch time...he of course says all the "right stuff" but he has to, doesn't he?! He then told me I needed to take a nap and left to go back to work! :)
So enough of my pity party...I have a question for you guys...whomever you are that check in on my sweet family!! I am in the process of figuring out my photography website and blog situation. Either I am totally overthinking it or it is easier said than done. It could be either or a little bit of both!!
I have a website already...it is far from being "done," but I have it. The question is, do I create a separate blog for Hissyfits...as in client images only? Or do I take the blog I have and have it reformatted into Typepad or Wordpress {I can't remember...but I won't be doing it so it is okay!!} and have one blog that incorporates my personal stuff and professional stuff and that is all linked to my Hissyfits website? {I would have it reformatted so that I don't lose my last year of blogging.} Or do I leave it how it is and put client images on my current blog? AHHH!! Anyway, I have gone back and forth for the last several days and each time I think I decide, something changes my mind!
Let me just share with you a little of what I have been thinking and maybe someone out there will have more to add?! I am surely overlooking something in this!!
If I keep my Little Graham Crackers blog and create a new business one, then there are two places to check in. Kind of a pain if you ask me. Several photographers do it this way, but I have a whole lotta blogs I check every couple of days or so {as you can see from the sidebar!!} and adding in extras isn't always the most convenient.
Also, if I keep Little Graham Crackers and have a separate Hissyfits blog, there will be like nothing on it until I get going with this and who knows how long that will take!! I would be so sad if I had this cute little blog and NOTHING on it!!
Now, if I combine them, the only drawback I am seeing is the fact that I have to do something with the tons of links on my sidebar!! That is how I see who has updated so I don't really want to get rid of it!! In my opinion it just isn't that professional looking to have all that on the side of business blog. And plus, I want my photography blog to have one large column so I can make the pictures even bigger!!!
Chris thinks that I won't like having just one blog through Hissyfits because then I won't be able to redo the design {because I am going to be paying someone to create a super fun, whimsical look for my Hissyfits blog} and we all know how much I like to redo the design every few months!
Ay, ay, ay...I have no idea what to do. I have my thoughts but I am curious as to what others think? As in YOU!!! So let me know!! In the meantime I will continue to fret about it and go back and forth until I am blue in the face!!
Love God. Serve others. Tacos.
9 years ago
Tidbits Left by

12 comments:
I think you should have a seperate blog for Hissyfits. My reasoning: on your personal blog you can do personal things that we all love and enjoy...all the pics about your kiddos. On your business one you can talk about upcoming things..and speak about the shoots you did and brag about them and share those photos (plus the subjects always love to hear how wonderful they looked!) Just my opinion...and YES I would pay you to take our photos!
You know I mix mine....... I am just toooooo dang busy to have two altho I have another blog that I mostly rant and write on (another story) anywho... as a photographer my personal life is a huge part of me and when people hire me I want them to *know* me.. kwim? That way also when it is winter and I am slow I still have something to write/blog about.........
just my two cents........
ps.. did you get my email?
Separate! For the following reasons:
1) Your photography blog should be less wordy with lots of photos.
2) You put a lot of personal info on your family blog and do you really want your clients knowing that much about you? (not that there is anything embarrassing, but you know what I mean.)
3) Your photography blog should say something about where you are located and you might not want to put that on your personal blog.
4) You can still post pics of your kids on your photo blog if you want to, (the really good ones).
5) Your photo blog should have it's own look. You can get that one designed with the lollies and leave it alone, then you can change up your personal one as often as you like without having to worry about changing your logo, etc.
6) Wouldn't you be sad to delete the past year of your blog? Are you going to put it into a book?
I do know a couple of photos that mix them, but they don't get very detailed about their own kids lives. And we like hearing all about your little ones!
HTH!
I agree - you should keep the blogs separate. When I go to a photography blog I like to look at the photography. Sometimes they have links to their personal blogs and occassionally I will look at those. I like the idea of keeping your business blog the same with your "signature" logos etc. Kind of a way people will remember/identify you. However, if you MUST combine them can't you have tabs at the top to separate the personal stuff from the business stuff??
I vote for seperate. Best to keep your business apart, thou I'm sure not easy to keep up two ;)
Denise
Hi Bethany,
I found your blog from your Etsy shop after getting you convo. Love it! I would agree to keep 2 seperate blogs. This one is so fun, but I think it is too personal for a professional photography site. I know someone who has a photography blog if you want to look (at another). She lives near me.
http://leighwilcoxsonphotography.com/
Hope you don't mind if I start visiting your blog.
Kristi
You are getting some great feedback here! I did already email you about this same thing this afternoon, but reading some of these comments brings up some great points!
I am for separate!! * The Bethany I know loves to talk, is captivating with her words and enjoys telling stories. I don't think you'd really be able to do that on your business blog. I mean...it would be YOUR blog, and you could if you wanted, but it just wouldn't be as professional. *your hubby is right, you would SO miss changing up your look too much! * I don't think the Hissyfits blog will be empty for too long. I'm sure you'll have client pictures to post before you know it AND you can always post pictures of your own kiddos on there! * Some people might want to know a little bit more about you...but they can always link over to your GGC blog :)
It will all be wonderful, whatever you decide! AND I can't wait to see your business take off! Go GIRL!!
p.s. YES!!! I would pay you to take pictures...and so would tons and tons of other people! Quit thinking like a crazy lady and go take that nap :) Love ya!
i am thinking two blogs.
fill up the hissyfits one with your faves of your kids to start.
before you know it... you will have hundreds of posts from all the sessions you will be booking.
then keep your current blog, change it up and have party planning, shopping and fun kid stories that we all love.
now we can just visit you two times.
love it!!!
hey girl...i would try and keep the two separate. you like to update your family blog often...it's so fun to read. your professional blog will mostly be photographs right? if you can manage it two is my vote! xo
Hey you!
From personal experience...def. separate! You would miss having the outlet your personal blog would give you. :)
--h
I was leaning towards one blog, with the whole checking in, and writing, it's just double the work.
but i read on and now i think two. sorry
of course if we like your personal blog we will LOVE hissy fits and add it to our reads too. Just thinking if it's not professional to have the widgets on the sidebar than it's probably not professional to talk about family and the "little" things in your life. I don't know. I'll be back, my cousin just started up her very own photography buiz. I'll get her link of her new site and you can see she also has a blog i'll give you that too! sorry i am so rambling!
I vote for separate. I mean just think of all of the things that wouldn't be "professional" to talk about... like the Bachelor!! I know there are clients out there (like me) who wouldn't care what was on your blog as long as great photography was included... but there are some people who may not know you, and come to your blog strictly for pricing and galleries. I don't know... just my 2 cents. All I know is that I would LOVE to see all of your current projects and photo sessions on your Hissyfits blog, as well as be able to check in on you and your family and see how your vacations were, and what cute hair bows you have made recently.
Love ya!
Jessica:)
Post a Comment