So these are the Valentine's I made for the kids...so completely different than anything they have ever had!! SO fun though too!! I had them printed using a pearl finish and they are all shimmery!
For my train obsessed boy...
And the back...
Gentry's...I should have changed the "I Love You" on hers to pink. It doesn't show up that well on the printed copies. Lesson learned for the next set of cards I create!
And the back...
Since we had our Valentine's Day playdate yesterday I now have an idea of how many of these I have left so a few of you may receive a set of these cuties in the mail next week! Sorry they'll be late!!
And since I finally have the time to sit at the computer for a bit...how about I answer a few of those burning questions ya'll had for me!!
Alright...so what did I do BEFORE the sweet Huntler entered our lives?
When I graduated from college I moved to Kansas City where I worked with kids in foster care {Chris was already there...he graduated six months before I did}. My degree is in Sociology with a minor in Psychology. Anyway, I was what you call a "Family Support Worker" and that title covers all sorts of things! One of the major things I did was to supervise visits between parents and kiddos. These were kids who had been taken out of their homes for a large number of reasons and their parents were not allowed to be alone with them. I also checked up on kids at school, in their foster homes, sporting events, etc. And then there was the transporting of kiddos too! If a child would come into "the system" there were times I had to take them to their new home {this is EXTREMELY hard on the child as you can imagine which makes it EXTREMELY hard on anyone with a heart as well}, there were mental health appointments {obviously some of these guys had some issues and needed counseling as well as meds for ADD so they had to be seen regularly} and just random other situations as well. And then there was paperwork! Tons and tons and tons of documentation and paperwork!
So there is that...I only lasted eleven months. I went to work in May after I graduated and quit the following April. For several reasons...like SO many people warned me, I got burnt out. It is emotionally exhausting to see innocent little people {some weren't innocent...they were runaways and troublemakers, but most were!} go through so much. The days were long...often longer than 8 hours yet it was a salaried position. That salary was LOW! And you had to be on call. I hated that. I distinctly remember one night a kid ran away and was taken to downtown KC to be held and have a psychiatric evaluation. I had to load up in the freezing cold and drive all that way BY MYSELF into the ghetto in the middle of the night. Not safe or fun. At all.
We weren't even married yet, but I quit. I mean, we had obviously talked about it and my puny little salary wasn't needed, so I put in my two weeks and haven't had a job since. Well, I have done some work for Chris and his company but not since having kids...that was when I was pregnant with Huntler. I pitched in and helped during tax season.
So there is that...far more detail than you wanted I am sure!! It is kinda fun for me to go back down memory lane though!! There are a few of those kids whom I still think about from time to time...they were so troubled yet wanted so desperately to go home because despite the drama that surrounded them, their mom was still their mom and they still loved her.
What does my husband do?
Keeping along the same lines here, I'll give ya a little more insight!! Chris and a business partner have their own financial planning service. They have offices in Kansas as well as out here in Arizona.
How is Hissyfits Photography coming along?
It is coming...just SLOWLY!! Much, much slower than I anticipated. Part of that is my fault, part of it is from being gone for four weeks recently, part of it is just from having two young kids and not having the time/energy to put towards it that I have wanted to! Anyway, I FINALLY have our house all cleaned and whipped back into shape so I can focus on it this week! I now want to change my logo which is causing Chris to probably want to strangle me so things are still in progress!!
Will I have a new site for that?
I actually already have the domain and the VERY BASICS have been played with on that website, but it is far from done! FAR FROM DONE!! I contacted a lady this week who's work I love and got some information from her regarding my website and blog. I'll be sure to keep you all posted!!
Have I thought about starting a party planning business?!
Yes, yes, yes!! I have saved everything from the kids' parties {from extra plates to decorations to links to where I bought stuff!} in case I ever feel so inclined!! I LOVE the details about their parties! However, I am not sure how realistic it is to think that someone would pay for those kind of services? I know they do as there are businesses out there that do this very thing, but I am not sure if it is worth the time and effort? However, I am not parting with anything yet!!
What am I doing with the kids' clothes that they have outgrown?!
Well, sweet Trish actually said if she ever has another girl she wants some of Gentry's clothes so I tweaked it just a bit! Actually, we are getting rid of everything. I have sold heaps and piles and still have three totes and two laundry baskets FULL of their stuff. Are you kidding me?!! Some of it is organized, some of it not, but if you have a little one and want some clothes that are in great shape and super cute, let me know and we can chat!! I would much rather take pics and sell it to a blog reader than try to organize it all and mess with Ebay!! One of my goals for this week is to get it all folded and sorted and organized.
Do we have any pets?
Nope! I am not so much into animals. I never really have been. And the kids are beyond terrified so it works out well! Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a cute little puppy, but then the reality of it peeing on our stuff, having to take it on walks in the 115 degree heat and just all the work when I already clean up after three other people on a daily basis hits me and I am good without one!! I would rather have another baby!!
And on that note, I am out of here on this Valentine's morning! Hope you all have a great one!
Love God. Serve others. Tacos.
9 years ago
Tidbits Left by

2 comments:
I love the valentines! You did such a great job. The train, the deer!!!! Shimmer paper!!! love them!
I read your newest post earlier...but had to get back on and read this one! I started it this morning, then my mom stopped by to visit and we went to lunch :)
Your Valentine's turned out so cute! Great job. Did you like the pearl paper? It seems to add so much to a design.
I loved reading some of your answers. Doesn't it really seem like just yesterday you were a family support worker?!? Where does the time go? So you'd rather have a baby than get a dog???? I don't think that exactly answered my question :) Ha!
Just got your email...I'll have to shoot you one back when Barrett goes down for this nap. He's got a book at my feet now, so I better go read to him. Love ya
Post a Comment